Mobile Site

Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

Sungkaang Ensalada Filipina

Carved jicama flowers
Carved jicama flowers (Photo credit: wallygrom)
By Juvy S. Iliwiliw


Sungka was a part of my childhood and specifically, of our family getaways to places in the Philippines. As I grew older, the gameboard of my youth got buried deeper and deeper in our storage room and I lost touch with it. Then a few years back, I received an invitation to a friend's wedding in Baguio. Number one on my list of things to buy was a sungka. Of course, my intention was to play sungka as I did when I was a little girl. But as I was staring at the empty sky one day, an idea came to mind - why not use it to serve food? So I hosted a get-together at home and my friends had so much fun with the presentation!



SUNGKAANG ENSALADA FILIPINA

You will need:


2 green mangoes, peeled and cut into strips

2 jicamas (singkamas), peeled and cut into strips

1 bunch each watercress and butter lettuce, washed

3 tomatoes, diced

3 salted red eggs, diced

1/4 cup adobo flakes or flaked lechon kawali


1/4 cup dried fish flakes (tinapa)

1/4 cup sauteed beansprouts

1/4 cup coarsely chopped peanuts or cashew nuts

1/4 cup chopped native sausage (longganisa)


1/4 cup sweet fish paste

1/4 cup spicy fish paste

1/4 cup chopped cilantro or wansoy


1/4 cup diced cucumber

1/4 cup diced kamias


1/4 cup sauteed fish fry (alamang)


1/4 cup toasted pan de sal, diced

Here's how:


Place green mangoes and singkamas on one end of the sungkaan. Place watercress and lettuce on the other end.

Slot the other ingredients into the rest of the holes. Place one kind of item in each hole, with a small teaspoon. Serve with dressings if desired.

Self-serve instructions: Scoop just enough of each ingredient to create your own salad.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers