Mobile Site

Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Angel Cake

English: Thin layers of a genoise soaked in gr...
English: Thin layers of a genoise soaked in grand marnier sugar syrup and frosted with an Italian buttercream (sugar, water, egg whites, and butter) Français : Fines couches de génoise trempées dans du sirop de sucre au grand marnier et glacées avec une crème au beurre italienne (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
By Juvy S. Iliwiliw


When we were just younger, our aunt would tell us to behave so that an angel would guard and guide us. She said that we would lose defense and never be protected by an angel if we act stupidly. I have come to believe it and too often I would picture in my mind an angel with rippling muscles holding a shield on one arm and a spear on the other. He will be ready to protect me from danger and that made me think I have to live more righteously so he would be with me anywhere I go.



As I aged, I learned more about angels and has no doubt about it anymore. But my nieces and nephews have a different question. They are asking whether an Angel Cake is guarded by an angel or is it the food eaten by angels. I gleefully laugh about it. I told them that angels are with them not in the cake and everytime they eat an angel cake, the heavenly taste would make them feel like angels of heaven on earth.

ANGEL CAKE

You will need:


1 cup cake flour
1 cup caster sugar or white refined sugar for the flour
1 cup egg whites1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup refined sugar for the egg whites
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract

For dusting:
Powdered sugar
cinnamon (optional)

Here's how:


Preheat oven to 375oF. Line the base of a 10-inch tube pan with baking paper. Set aside. In a bowl, combine cake flour and the 1/4 cup caster sugar. Set aside.


Pour egg whites into the mixing bowl of an electric mixer and add salt and cream of tartar. Beat at medium speed until frothy. Gradually add 1 cup of caster sugar while continuing to beat egg whites on medium speed.


After adding all the sugar, continue to beat egg whites at high speed until egg whites are stiff but not dry.


Using a rubber scraper, carefully fold vanilla and flour mixture into the beaten egg whites in four portions.


Transfer the folded cake batter to the prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until a cake tester would come out clean. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack in an upside down position before removing cake from pan.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers