Mobile Site

Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

David Humes | Mobility Awareness Month - Vote For Me!

This is a very sad story of a great man who's turned tragedy into triumph.

Please support his efforts and vote for him in the mobility drive!

David Humes | Mobility Awareness Month - Vote For Me!




With each breath our lives move forward. On July 18, 2009, on a fishing trip with my three daughters, breathing became no longer simple routine, but life-altering and I have chosen to turn paralysis into life- giving hope for others.
After verifying the depth, the boat captain indicated that it was safe to jump in and I dove directly into a sandbar three feet below the surface. The impact shattered my cervical 3 vertebrae damaging my spinal cord and left me paralyzed from the chest down. My daughters’ immediate life saving actions kept me praying and fighting for my life until emergency personnel life-flighted me to Orlando Regional Medical Center Level 1 Trauma Center.
I struggled for months to free myself from the confines of the ventilator to live at home rather than in a long-term care facility. Although a significant risk, my wife and I opted for the implantation of a diaphragmatic pacemaker on October 14, 2009 and I now live at home with my family.
Several other innovations have allowed life to proceed with a modicum of normalcy —the standing table, fully automated self maneuvering wheelchair and infrared and voice-recognition software providing total computer access.
Prior to the accident, I had been a successful entrepreneur for more than 20 years, working in the surplus industry with any and all types of merchandise, equipment and machinery.
My life is moving forward with a similar surplus industry focusing strictly on medical equipment that will enable placement of this equipment into the homes of those who need it.
I am developing a web-site to share my experiences; founded and assist a spinal cord support group at Sea Pines Rehabilitation Center and visit spinal cord injury patients at local nursing homes. On May 15, 2011, I was the focal point for the major annual fund raising event benefitting the Level 1 Trauma Center.
Through faith and belief, I have been able to withstand such a traumatic, life-changing event, but the majority of my appreciation must be attributed to the unwavering support of my family and faith community.
The addition of reliable wheelchair accessible transportation will greatly impact my efforts to help others, participate in philanthropic events such as that at ORMC, establish my business, continue my education and provide the opportunity to participate with my family.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers